History of Horam Manor Farm
The old sandstone farmhouse is thought to have been originally connected to the Sussex Iron Industry. Carvings on the window lintel of the original stone building suggest it was used as an office for the industry as early as 1560.
The ponds were created at this time as the land was dug up for iron ore.
The farmhouse formed part of the Horam Manor Estate and can be seen clearly in the 18th century print below, now in the British Museum.
In the seventeenth century the estate was owned by the Dyke family, who moved to Lullingstone Castle when one of the sons married the daughter of Sir Percival Hart. The Hart Dyke family continued to own Horeham Manor, as it was then called, until the manor house burnt down after the Second World War. The site of the manor house was used by the Merrydown Wine Company from 1946 until 2005.
Horam Manor Farm was by then a separate estate. It was farmed by Lady Garbitt until the farm was taken over by the War Office in WW2, to grow much needed produce for the war effort.
In 1958 the farm was bought by the Goulden family, who still live there.